a musing moment

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hockey, Anyone?

I'm not really a hockey fan. In fact, the most hockey I've ever watched at one time was the Disney movie Miracle, about the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team, starring Kurt Russell. I know that it's a sport/game played on ice by fearless people in skates and lots of padding, weilding sticks with the intent of getting a puck in the goal more times than the opposing team. I've even heard of penalty boxes, slap shots and power plays, but don't ask me to define them. The only hockey names I recognize are Mario Lemieux and...

Wayne Gretzky. "The Great One". Number 99. The NHL's all-time leading scorer. Won four Stanley Cups in his career. Holds almost every scoring record in NHL history. In 1,487 games tallied 894 goals and 1,963 assists -- for a total of 2,857 career points. NHL Hall of Fame inductee.

[Don't be impressed; I learned all this just minutes ago at the NHL website.]

The reason I've shared some facts about Gretzky's phenomenal career is to lend ballast to a quote I read today. With his stellar accomplishments, I think the thought is very compelling:

You miss all the shots you don't take.
-- Wayne Gretsky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home