a musing moment

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Memorial Day Tribute

This Memorial Day, I'll be standing along a downtown curb watching a parade along with thousands of other Columbia residents. My 16-year-old son will be following in the tradition of his two older brothers who also marched in Memorial Day parades with their junior high and high school bands. Paratroopers will dazzle, vintage airplanes will pass overhead and veterans of all branches of the military, young and old, will remind us of what it cost to preserve the freedoms we so easily take for granted.

This particular Memorial Day ritual has meant much more to me in recent years, ever since my dad joined us for the parade about ten years ago. Despite his significant loss of flexibility and nimbleness, I watched Dad repeatedly bolt out of his lawn chair and render a crisp salute to many of the WWII veterans as they passed. In most cases, their eyes would lock for a moment, communicating a knowing far beyond the grasp of the rest of us. This unspoken language, this bond, this mutual honor -- these seemed almost sacred to my observing heart.

America is losing these WII veterans at a rapid rate: their median age during the last census (four years ago) was 76.7. As a tribute to my dad, those he served with, and especially those who did not come home, I offer a link to a touching song and photo essay by a doctor who has cared for many of these men and women. His group is called Dr. Sam and the Managed Care Blues Band. Please share.

Thank you is just not enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home