a musing moment

Saturday, December 10, 2005

God's Word

Isaiah 49:14-16
"But Zion said, 'The LORD has forsaken me, And my Lord has forgotten me.' Can a woman forget her nursing child, And not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, Yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands... "

It is highly improbable that a mother -- a nursing mother, at that -- could forget her baby, but I suppose it's within the realm of possibility (for instance, she might be gravely ill). But God, unlike a human mother, has sovereignly chosen to remember. In fact, He says He inscribes His own on the palms of His hands. Wow.

My daughter does this. When she wants to remember to take something to school, or to call a friend, she writes a little note right on her hand as a reminder. When I was young, my mom told me to tie a string around a finger to achieve the same effect. Several months ago, I wanted to break a bad habit. So I made myself a little "friendship" bracelet to wear for a while to remind me. (It worked and my behavior has improved.)

And our heavenly Father does it too. He writes our names on the palms of His hands. Not because He could ever forget. He's God and He sovereignly choses to remember His loved ones. That's me and that's you. Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home