a musing moment

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

George Washington Carver on the Peanut

[George Washington Carver, chemist, 1864-1943, joined Booker T. Washington at Tuskegee Institute in 1896. Both Henry Ford and Thomas Edison attempted to persuade him to go into business, but Carver was dedicated to helping his people and the South. He introduced hundreds of uses for the peanut (+300 uses), soybean (+100 uses), pecan and sweet potato -- all crops that replenished Southern soil depleted by years of cotton production -- revolutionizing the economy of the South. The following is excerpted from his 1920 address to the Young Men's Christian Association of Blue Ridge, North Carolina, summer school for the southern states.]

Years ago I went into my laboratory and said, "Dear Mr. Creator, please tell me what the universe was made for?"

The Great Creator answered, "You want to know too much for that little mind of yours. Ask for something more your size, little man."

Then I asked. "Please, Mr. Creator, tell me what man was made for."

Again the Great Creator replied, "You are still asking too much. Cut down on the extent and improve the intent."

So then I asked, "Please, Mr. Creator, will you tell me why the peanut was made?"

"That's better, but even then it's infinite. What do you want to know about the peanut?"

"Mr. Creator, can I make milk out of the peanut?"

"What kind of milk do you want? Good Jersey milk or just plain boarding house milk?"

"Good Jersey milk."

And then the Great Creator taught me to take the peanut apart and put it together again. And out of the process have come forth all these products!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home