a musing moment

Monday, December 26, 2005

"Portrait of a Leader"

I was just reading about a recent book that features images of President Bush's first four years in office: George W. Bush: Portrait of a Leader (article at CitizenLink.org, a website of Focus on the Family). It would do my heart good to look at this book. The media's choice of photographs used over the past five years to illustrate their stories about our president have been personally distressing -- they are so frequently unflattering and often make him look awkward.

This bias, while not surprising, doesn't demonstrate honor toward the man who holds the highest office in our nation and is out of step with principles mandated in scripture. The Apostle Paul quotes a passage from the Torah saying, "You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people." (Acts 23:5) The Apostle Peter also instructs, "Honor all people. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king." (I Peter 2:17) Regardless of one's politics.

Former White House photographer David Kennerly, who helped with the book, says, "I'm not really a political person. I didn't do this because I'm a Republican or a Democrat. I've been in and out of the Oval Office ever since Richard Nixon was president... I think it's a very honest portrayal of the man. One thing President Bush doesn't like to do is set up pictures, I can tell you that. But these pictures were real moments and that's one of the things that really works. I think people will be able to tell that."

I'll let you know if it meets my expectations after I get my hands on a copy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home