a musing moment

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

On Friendship

Last night, my teenage son and I were having a conversation about friends and he, uncharacteristically, asked me to post a blurb on the subject. Not one to toss aside such a request, here we go:

Over the course of my 53 years I've had friends and then, I've had friends. You know the ones I'm talking about -- you can call them at 2 a.m. if you need to. They'll let you borrow their car, or $50, no questions asked. They've consoled you in sad times and celebrated your joys and successes with you. They know your faults and weaknesses and love you anyway.

If a particular person is coming to mind right now as you read this, I want you to stop what you're doing and call/email/send a card to let this person know what a difference he/she has made in your life. (A borrowed idea: I recently got a reminder from FlyLady to do this and did. My old college roommate in California was glad to know I considered her to be in the second category of friends.)

I promise it'll only take a couple of minutes and you'll make someone's day. Really -- stop and do it. Don't say to yourself, "Hmmm, that's a good idea..." and go on about your business. Be wind in their sails, helium in their balloon, sunshine on their toes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home