a musing moment

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Another Puppy Life Lesson

The puppy has been with us for nearly two weeks now, and all of us are gradually adjusting to one another. He's still very tuned in to his Master's every word, every move (as I described earlier), but is calmer and better able to follow directions. But...

He's still a puppy. And that means that he sometimes can't stay focused on what he's supposed to be doing when given verbal commands. Oh, there might be another dog on the path ahead, and he's very distracted. Or someone comes in the front door, and he's compelled to investigate. Or he's overstimulated, and just can't override his instinctual (mis)behavior.

A lot like me, in fact:

  • I too am prone to lose focus and get way off beam.
  • I too am strongly compelled to follow my impulses, satisfying my felt "needs" (think Snickers, snooze button, gossip, etc.).
  • I too get so wound up doing my own thing, I can't gear down and follow sound directives from my Master.

In spite of my lapses, however, my Master is patient and kind. He redirects my focus. He implores me to satisfy my genuine needs in Him and stop settling for cheap substitutions. And He calls to me from His word and says,


"Come, Linda. You've gotten yourself overwhelmed and uncentered; I'll give you a break. Sit. Here, take My [collar and leash] upon you. It pleases me to [train] you -- I don't consider it "beneath Me". Once you get these commands, things'll be easier and much lighter. Abide with Me. Stay. Good Girl."

(Matthew 11:28-30, paraphrased for the puppy-hearted).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home