a musing moment

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Minefields

Several days ago, I witnessed a Caucasian woman, in a professional context, make several personal comments about race. I thought her comments were inappropriate for the circumstance and somewhat gauche. After she left, others (both African American and Caucasian) said that they experienced her comments as offensive and patronizing to African Americans. There was concensus that she had neither spoken with malice nor intent to wound, but, nonetheless, some held her actions in harsh judgment due to her ignorance. It was considered inexcusable that she did not know how her comments would be received and perceived by the persons present; she was responsible for not knowing.

I interact daily with African Americans in my neighborhood, in my church, and in the kinds of work I do. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't blunder in the ways she did, but only because I have a little education regarding some of the issues she alluded to. This education resulted not only from my reading, but also because African American friends have brought certain things to my attention. But prior to learning what I now know, I have committed the same kind of errors this woman made. And it's a given that I will make ignorant comments in the future. Even though I make an effort to increase my understanding, there are still many things of which I'm ignorant.

That's what made the harshness distressing to me. It made me feel like backing off and letting somebody else attempt to restore the brokenness of race relations in our culture. Staying away from the playing field would dramatically reduce my likelihood of committing a serious faux pas, and the risk of being similarly judged. Suddenly, the places where I live, work and worship didn't seem very safe.

But. There's an axiom that rings in my ears: unless one is part of the solution, he or she is part of the problem. It may be unfortunate but it's a reality that learning how to be part of the solution includes risk. It necessitates a willingness to step onto a minefield, never knowing when -- like the woman -- one will trip something buried long ago by folks long gone. The very process of attempting to be a restorer means drawing near enough to risk being judged, and posssibly written off, because one's ignorance is inexcusable.

The danger and devastation in this scenario doesn't have to be. We could agree that co-existing in a minefield isn't a healthy place to live. The minefield was created in the past by other people and we merely inherited it. But the past is gone. The future is uncertain and not yet. This only leaves us the now. It's all we really have to work with.

In the now we could begin shaping a reality of our choosing. One without a minefield. We could discuss what type of future we would like to create and put our heads together to figure out how we could get from where we are to there. But only if we decide together to do it.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world."

-- Harriet Tubman, escaped slave, Civil War soldier and abolitionist, 1820-1913

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home